Get Registered and Vote for Equality!
The LGBTQ+ community includes people from all racial, ethnic, gender, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds. That means we are uniquely positioned to improve voter turnout and make a difference in election results.
Downloadable materials for nonprofit organizations wanting to get involved in voter registration and elections:
- LGBTQ+ Community Centers During an Election Year: What you can and cannot do as a nonprofit.
- Nonprofit Vote's guest blogger of the month: Tanya Tassi from CenterLink talks about voter registration and the LGBTQ+ community.
- #GetCentered and learn what your community center can and can't do during an election year.
Every election has high stakes for the LGBTQ+ community with laws around anti-discrimination protections in housing, education, health care, and more hanging in the balance. How do you help someone register to vote? Get started here.
Having ID that doesn’t match one's gender identity or presentation should not affect their right to cast a ballot in any state. But with increasingly strict voter ID laws, trans people often face barriers. The National Center for Transgender Equality can help.
Information For Nonprofits Involved In Get Out The Vote Efforts:
Nonprofit voter engagement is a powerful way for your organization to represent and educate the people you serve. Registering people to vote, equipping them with information about what’s on the ballot, and reminding them to vote on election day can bring attention to your community center and your mission.
- Staying Nonpartisan: Permissible Election Activities Checklist For 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Organizations
- How to engage voters digitally during the COVID-19 pandemic
- 501(c)(3) Employees Running for Office
- What Nonprofits Can Do in a Contested Election
- Want to Conduct or Fund a Voter Registration Drive? What Nonprofits Need to Know
- The Rules of the Game: A Guide to Election-Related Activities for 501(c)(3) Organizations
- Nonprofit Voting Power: Vote With Your Mission
- Voter Engagement Checklist for a 501(c)3
ActionLink works to register and mobilize LGBTQ+ voters in partnership with the following national organizations:
Highlights from Voter Registration Day in 2020 and
ActionLink's 2020 Get Out The Vote Video