The LGBTQ+ community includes people from all racial, ethnic, gender, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds. That means we are uniquely positioned to improve voter turnout and make a difference in election results.
And every election has high stakes for the LGBTQ+ community with laws around anti-discrimination protections in housing, education, health care, and more hanging in the balance.
- How do you register to vote? Get started here.
- Think you're already registered but want to make sure? Click here to check!
- Need to request a mail-in (absentee) ballot? Do that here.
- Having ID that doesn’t match one's gender identity or presentation should not affect their right to cast a ballot in any state. But with increasingly strict voter ID laws, trans people often face barriers. The National Center for Transgender Equality can help.
Downloadable materials for nonprofit organizations wanting to get involved in Get Out The Vote efforts and elections:
- LGBTQ+ centers during an election year: what you CAN do as a nonprofit
- LGBTQ+ centers during an election year: what you CANNOT do as a nonprofit
Nonprofit voter engagement is a powerful way for your organization to represent and educate the people you serve. Registering people to vote, equipping them with information about what’s on the ballot, and reminding them to vote on election day can bring attention to your community center and your mission.
- Staying Nonpartisan: Permissible Election Activities Checklist For 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Organizations
- 501(c)(3) Employees Running for Office
- What Nonprofits Can Do in a Contested Election
- Want to Conduct or Fund a Voter Registration Drive? What Nonprofits Need to Know
- The Rules of the Game: A Guide to Election-Related Activities for 501(c)(3) Organizations
- Nonprofit Voting Power: Vote With Your Mission
- Voter Engagement Checklist for a 501(c)3
ActionLink works to register and mobilize LGBTQ+ voters in partnership with the following national organizations:
Click the picture to access ActionLink's 2022 Get Out The Vote Toolkit